Top Foods that are Deadly to Dogs
Face it we all love our dogs and what dog owner can resist looking into those adoring eyes quietly waiting for a morsel of food to drop from the heaven into their mouths? We should that's who! If you own a pet, here are some great reminders of the top foods that we might love but would be deadly to your forever k9 buddy.
Top Foods that Are Harmful to Dogs
1. Chocolate - contains a chemical compound that is both a heart stimulant and diuretic and potentially fatal to dogs.
2. Onions and garlic - whether in one large dose or smaller doses, onions and garlic contain a toxin that can build up in the dog's system, damaging red blood cells.
3. Grapes and raisins - an unknown substance in grapes and raisins can cause damage to the dog's kidneys and potentially cause renal failure.
4. Alcoholic beverages can cause drunkenness, coma and potentially death.
5. Coffee, tea and soft drinks containing caffeine - caffeine of any kind can be toxic to the heart and nervous systems.
6. Fruit pits and seeds - many contain cyanogenic glycosides which can lead to cyanide poisoning.
7. Avocado - all parts of the avocado are toxic to dogs.
8. Macadamia nuts - contain an unknown toxin to dogs that can cause paralysis and damage to the nervous system.
9. Potato peelings, rhubarb and tomato leaves - contain oxalates which can cause problems with digestive, nervous and urinary tract systems.
10. Moldy or spoiled foods - can contain toxins or bacteria that can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
11. Milk and dairy products - while not impacting all dogs, some dogs have intolerance for milk products causing gas and diarrhea.
12. Baby food - can potentially contain onion powder causing red blood cell damage. If fed in large quantities can also lead to a nutritional imbalance.
13. Raw eggs - contain avid which decreases absorption of biotin, causing skin and coat problems.
14. Yeast dough - the active yeast culture can cause gas in the digestive tract, creating gastric distress and possible digestive tract ruptures.
15. Raw fish - can cause a thiamine deficiency which can cause lack of appetite, seizures and potential death.
16. Excessive amounts of fat - can cause pancreatitis.
17. Sugar - free foods containing Xylitol - has caused liver failure in some dogs.
18. Baking soda, baking powder and salt - in large amounts these ingredients can cause an electrolyte imbalance potentially leading to muscle spasms or congestive heart failure.
19. Mushrooms - can contain toxins that lead to kidney and liver damage.
20. Human vitamin supplements - can damage the digestive tract lining, especially those containing iron. Can lead to kidney and liver damage.
21. Nutmeg - can cause tremors, seizures and nervous system damage.
22. Bones - most bones should not be given as they can splinter and cause cuts and punctures to the mouth and digestive system.
Some of the items on this list I wasn’t even aware of that could be dangerous to my pet like raw eggs, raw fish or even Nutmeg. Love your dog and keep them happy, healthy and safe this summer and year round by strictly enforcing a "no feed rule" from any of the items on this list. Post it somewhere easily accessible in case you need a memory refresher. You and your pet will have many years to enjoy each other and don’t cut one minute short by giving into those adoring eyes!
Pam, Hannah and Joey
Sources: https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat. Reviewed by Amy Flowers, DVM on February 05, 2018